This is a link to an interesting article by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources on Coyotes in Maryland:

http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/hunt_trap/furbearers/coyote.asp

A couple of notes:

Populations of coyotes in the neighboring Commonwealth of Virginia were found to be increasing at 29% per year. A similar increase in population is thought to be in progress here in Maryland.

All counties in Maryland have popultations of coyotes, despite the fact the Maryland is one of the last two states to have been colonized (first seen in 1972) by coyotes (the other being Delaware).

Coyotes become the local top predator, displacing other natural predators (e.g. our local red fox) and others. "In fact a localized indicator of the presence of coyotes is a rapid decline in the free ranging cat population."

The take-away I get is that if you haven't seen them in your neighborhood yet, you will.

I have not seen any in my neighborhood, but 2 red fox that used to appear in my backyard have disappeared, as has a cat that used to wander through the border of the woods in the back. So I'm keeping my eyes open.