bacpac brings in a very good subject,what sort of wool?
i have seen some that is like wearing cardboard and other wool that is soft and drapes over you.some of the best i wore was the Army issue in Korea.
i have a Filson double mac thats great for wet cold,sleet kind of weather but put on a down parka for the sub zero stuff.
having said that i don't think you could go wrong with good quality wool clothing.back in the old days a wool mens suit that had gone shabby,lost it's shape,was used by fishermen and campers all over the East.i'm talking heavy wool here the sort wore in semi-heated workshops and homes and on long walks to and from a trolly stop and not a "dress up" getup..
now i'll turn around and say they did that because thats all they had.i have done sub-zero snowshoeing wearing light weight poly fluff top and bottoms under a gortex rainsuit and was very warm.
hard subject to really get a handle on..German Army wool pants with the plastic in the knees and big pockets would be just the thing to stand guard in but i don't think i would want to hike around in them....
have a easy winter folks---