First off, let me say best wishes to you and your family. Next let me say something about "current events". Current news is often not accurate and not even well presented. It has been my past experience that every, and I mean EVERY news event that I have ever had direct involvement with from on the scene have all been reported inaccurately, Every one of them.

To me that means that I cannot pay a lot of attention to the media and the way things are portrayed. Chances are very high that the event is not being accurately presented.

I try not to get wrapped up in speculations and just worry about the near-term and ignore the "what if" syndrome.

As for winter being a time for cabin fever, look into some activities that are fun and good for you. Cross Country skiing, snowshoeing, ice fishing, whatever it takes to stay busy and have fun. I always find winter to be my best time, but I live in the desert:) I spend my summer with cabin fever and I read a lot and stay cool inside.

Good luck!