Originally Posted By: Chisel
Quote:
our dog is part of the family. it would be very hard to just ditch her.

Well, BOB, that is why I have a NO PET law in my house. If we don't have her to begin with, we don't have to struggle with ditching her later.

About the useage of a dog in a SHTF, maybe , but depoends on what type of SHTF. In MY most propable scenario, I want to move as quickly and quietly as possible. I can't see myself and family in a confronation of any type. Even a big dog won't help us much against several bad guys with guns, if it comes to that.

YMMV.

I get your point, and you made a responsible decision not to have a dog. I can respect that.

Personally, if my family settled down somewhere, my dog would be an invaluable alarm system. That may not be easy to imagine now while we're all warm and comfy in front of our computers, but there may be a time when my family is exhausted and may, for example, sleep through a bum rummaging through our stuff. My dog would definitely let us know about the intruder, and would be worth her weight in gold at that moment. That's not an unlikely scenario.

More importantly, I enjoy my dog's companionship as a family member. My family is the first thought in my mind when I face a life-or-death situation. My motivation to survive is to spend more time with my family, not just to win a competition or whatever.