Originally Posted By: KI6IW
You make excellent points. I did not pay much attention to the marketing hype. I was more interested in the ingredient list. Regarding the expiration date, the contents are sugar and various minerals, so it is unclear to me what would ever expire.

Specific products aside, do you (or your wife) have any insights on how well this concept might work, or what might work better?

Thank you.

On the first page of this thread is a basic ORS recipe which combined with a couple of kool aid packs is sufficient for 99% of us. Also the ingredients in Gatorade powder is not all that much different then the product you are interested in...

When I first really got involved with the outdoors and hiking and mountain climbing, there was an older Austrian man who would occasionally join our outings. When we would stop for lunch and meal breaks, us younger lads would pull out, at the time, the high tech drinks, meal bars etc and scarve them down while the older...and much wiser man would quietly chow down on some heavy bread, a hunk of sausage, some cheese, an orange or banana or 2 and wash it all down with water. We thought he was so "old "school" but little did we know at the time, his choice of food and diet negated his need for supplementary energy drinks and meal bars...and at a much cheaper cost to him.

John Lubbock