Originally Posted By: Pete
I do think that drinks with proper electrolyte replacement are helpful. I agree though that they have become big business. To my way of thinking, the main problem with Gatorade is that it's far too sweet. I wish they'd get 80% of the sugar out of that stuff. I'm still looking for a reasonable electrolyte drink that has proper sodium and potassium levels, and much lower sugar.

Yeah - I do know about ORS. It works but tastes lousy :-)
There has to be a compromise somewhere.

By the way ... the joke I tell people is this. Drink one Coca-Cola. Then drink one Pepsi. The Coke uses sodium-based chemicals. The Pepsi uses potassium-based equivalents. So if you drink one of both - you've got your sodium and potassium, right?? hahahaha!

Pete2

compare the ingredient labels for any electrolyte beverage with that of a v8 juice can. V8 is better, cheaper, and provides 2 servings of vegetables, rather than a batch of empty calories. The cans are arguably more recycle-worthy than the plastic containers. electrolyte/bottled water/soft drinks are a triumph of marketing creating a perceived need and selling a product to fill the need. Eating a balanced diet eliminates the need for supplements.