Originally Posted By: Lono
I think this is very realistic - the real doomsday preppers are heads down in their bunkers, waiting out the disease, not running about in a group without real preparations, providing the entertainment for the rest of us.
As I understand the timeline, roughly 45 days elapsed between Rick being abandoned at hospital and his waking up. Even if people who were not prepared, had time to locate resources. In particular, we know that when they were camping new the city, Glenn made many solo trips to pick up supplies. So I blame him for not collecting more useful gear.

Whether or not it's realistic, it makes the show less interesting. I want to watch people being smarter than me, having ideas I didn't think of. Stupidity is boring.

Quote:
Real survival is probably far less daring and far more boring - reduce mobility to zero, lock the gates and doors, go above ground where zombies can't follow, and wait for rot to take its course.
In this fictional universe the zombies seem to retain mobility indefinitely. One of my biggest fears would be getting treed by a hoard of them, and still being treed by the same hoard 2 years later. I would try to keep mobile. It's easy to out-pace the zombies. By all means set up base in a farm, but if threatened I'd be quick to abandon it, with the idea of returning later when the zombies have moved on. It seems it'd be straightforward to encourage them to move on; once they start walking they don't stop.

Quote:
Also I am a little surprised that in a nation with over 400 million guns, they aren't finding them littering the streets.
Quite so. It seems with the general population depleted, finding resources should be easy. There should be any number of abandoned farms; they didn't need to stick with the first they found.