The quality of Chinese stuff may be hit and miss but US made stuff is really no different. We're cranked out plenty of junk knives in the US, too. Unless we're talking customs I've never really though of the US as a great knifemaking country. Nearly all my kitchen knives are Japanese, with the only American made ones being specialty blades made to closely mimic the qualities of the Japanese ones. I don't want to set fans of one company against another but what would you rather have- a Becker or a Fallkniven? I'd take my F1 over any Becker(although they're very good knives). Certainly ESEE makes great knives. How many other truly elite knives are made in the US, though?

I think it still comes down to individual companies. Some work very closely with their Chinese factories, implementing the same QC as they do in their stateside plants. I've read that the tires made by major American companies in China are very good whereas the purely Chinese brands are deathtraps.

But I'll admit- I'd still be pretty wary of a Chinese knife. Maybe that will change as I see more good ones.

BTW, re the OP and the Stroud Camillus: At first blush I'm pretty disappointed. It contains lots Bear Grylls-style gimmicks and very few features I'd consider appropriate to a survival knife. I loath serrations right in the sweet spot of the blade. That's the part I'd use to make feather sticks or shavings, tasks much better suited to a plain edge. Actually I loath serrations in general. They're useful on a bread knife and perhaps great for EMS to cut seat belts or whatever, but for most tasks they just get in the way. The whole design screams "tacti-cool" more than survival.