it is interesting how cable channels are dispensing seasons and I think, IMO, it stems back to the writers strike in 2008. A lot of shows, network and cable only had half or partial seasons done before that happened and a long freeze was put on new output. Anyone remember 24 was off air for over a year? I think they found that the hiatus didn't kill franchises like they thought.

And in fact it probably helped some on the higher cable channels in that the mid season breaks are mostly occurring during October to January when people don't watch as much tv. So the in the end the ratings remain high per episode even though the fans are pissed.

I get bummed because some of the shows I have come to watch on cable are only being run during the summer during national channel breaks. So instead of being able to watch say, 25 new episodes of Big Bang between September & May, & repeats all year long; I get 10 straight new episodes of Eureka or Sons of Anarchy and then nothing for a year or more.

Before this season of TWD, when Darbont was fired mid way through filming, readers were lead to expect a big difference in tone between what he did during the Sofia arc and the rest of the season. I think that held up mostly true w/ the second half of the season more action packed than the first.