I think the lesson learned here is that even experienced hikers, climbers and snowshoers aren't immune to overconfidence. I wouldn't think about going on a fair-weather hike without my daypack containing the 10 essentials. But I find that most people don't think that way.

I see folks on the trail all the time in shorts and a t-shirt carrying nothing more than a single bottle of water. I've often shared water, food and directions with people I found struggling along the trails, in a few cases helped them find their way back to the main trail or trailhead. In fact I see more and more of this today than I did 30 years ago (maybe because there's more people enjoying the outdoors now than ever?). Most people act like I've got a learning disability when I tell them what's in my pack.

I also spend some time answering questions on some general public forums about camping and hiking. It is startling to see so many people argue that "real" camping or hiking is going out practically naked. As if planning for one's own survival and self-sufficiency is somehow "unmanly," [no offense, gals]. I fear that shows like Bear Grylls and the like are sending the wrong message, particularly to younger adults.

I agree that EDUCATION is the key. The question is, what's the right forum?