Tru-Nord compasses sound intriguing, and I looked up the company's website - I was glad to find they are located in Brainerd, MN, one of my favorite places. Their compensating service is certainly novel.

However, my compass use ranges across a fair variety of zip codes, usually in the western US,and I find a baseplate compass,like the Suunto MC-2 works very well. I can easily set the declination for any location quickly and easily. I can also easily determine the setting at any time (I usually leave it pointing to magnetic North,but that varies with the locality and the task). Included with the compass is a clinometer, inch and centimeter scales, a backup signal mirror, and a small magnifying lens. I have found it adequate for making sketch maps (usually of archaeological sites), as well as the all important task of finding my way back home. If I am using it, it hangs on a lanyard around my neck; otherwise, it is tucked inside the pack where it doesn't get banged around. I use a GPS a lot, but I like keeping a compass handy, even if it is not in constant use. When you need it , you really need it.