Originally Posted By: Russ
There was an article out fairly early about the entertainers on the Costa Concordia. That article was where I read for the first time about the Captain exiting early and the crew (including the entertainers) assisting the passengers. The dancer interviewed was one of the last off at ~0300 IIRC.

This morning I read an article about the deputy mayor of Giglio, the island near which the ship ran aground. The mayor sent him to coordinate the rescue onboard. He got to the ship around 11, and stayed until 3 in the morning to help evacuate the ship. It seems that he and the entertainers left around the same time, so this agreement suggests that was the time when almost everyone was rescued. The deputy mayor was very unimpressed, to say the least, that the captain didn't get on board, because he got on board.

The captain's young blonde female companion (for those following the news) said that he stayed until 11:30 -- that is, until he accidentally fell off the ship and directly into a boat. If she is his girlfriend, I guess she'll have to start thinking about what she'll do during his 12-year prison term.