So I'm about 30% through "TWD: Compendium One" (1000 pages, graphic books #1-48).

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Compe...4897&sr=8-2

Highly recommend for TWD fans. Among the striking aspects of the comics is that the show producers obviously don't feel wedded to them in regard to characters or plot details. Budgetary pressure surely is one limiting factor (lots of characters in the comics and at least one elaborate, difficult to replicate or location-shoot setting). Some aspects of the comics may be too dark for AMC (I hope so). And I think the ratings appeal of certain actors is going to get them a much longer run on the show than they had in the comics.

I've read a number of complaints by journalist critics and in forum comments that Season 2 (set to pick back up on February 12) has been too slow. But what also is evident is that the comics are leisurely in their pacing, there is considerable exposition and a great deal of focus on the basics of survival in TWD world (food and fuel) and even comfort items like clean clothes.

There is one fundamental assumption in the comics that has potential long-term repercussions, but the TV show may well ignore it.