Originally Posted By: Dagny
Indeed, slaughtering someone else's zombies without permission is a bit rude.

Etiquette was probably one of the early casualties of the zombie apocalypse.

Dagny and Denis are discussing this matter within the show. But I wonder whether this whole stay on the farm reflects the ideas about property rights in today's society. Should the law give the owner a lot of leeway in setting the rules on his property? In the show, Rick makes it clear that he will try to obey Hershel's rules, but Shane and Daryl don't want to do that. Shane wants to do what he thinks is best for his survival chances, and Daryl is just going to do whatever he wants (he takes a horse, against Hershel's wishes, to look for Sophia).

Addendum: This is one aspect of the sort of thing I'm talking about:

Quote:
As these cases show, the so-called “castle doctrine” is being tested in a variety of new ways, as states have steadily expanded the rights of citizens to protect their homes and property.

After Florida's passage of a castle doctrine law in 2005, 31 states followed suit and now protect the right of homeowners to defend their property from intruders. And the expansion of such laws continue.

Above quote from Oklahoma mom kills home invader: Why the law was on her side.

Secondly, we are also reminded of the conflict about carrying firearms vs. not carrying firearms in public buildings or when visiting private businesses, etc. I don't think there is much to be said here in the context of the show, since everything seems to be reduced to survival.

Edited by Bingley (01/05/12 06:43 PM)