Originally Posted By: hikermor
Good post, Byrd....What stands out to me is the differences in environment and the related changes in gear. Only 27 oz of water? I always carry more than that(the West is a lot more arid than the Land of 10,000 lakes). To compensate, I carry fewer knives - typically a Wave and a SAK Classic. Depending upon the terrain, i might throw in a climbing rope (various sizes and weights), a harness, and a few other related items.

Always some food bits and Constant Comment tea - I really like that stuff in the outdoors. I have used the Trangia for years as a stove - simple and really foolproof.

Personally I carry more lights, but a headlamp (PT EOS) is the primary, supplemented by small single battery lights that share battery type with the headlamp, along with a few small pinch lights here and there. My backup light, a Fenix LD01, would be perfectly capable of all night use for hiking, if necessary.

I do have more water in my truck, but there really is no problem getting clean water here. Where I was hiking today, I had to cross a raging torrent on a home made icy log bridge, then followed the river for several miles and finally would have had to wade across a shallow section to continue. It was getting dark in the valley, 300 feet below the bluffs, so thats where the Trangia and CC tea came out. I have a Katydin filter which I carry in summer and I also have two kinds of disinfectant tabs in my PSK. I did have three lights, but I never use any of them except for deer hunting.

You're right when you say that the environment dictates the gear.