Here's what I've READ about not using sights in a gun, being that I've never been in a gun fight myself. The person in the gun fight does what they're trained to do. If a lot of your training is point shooting, then you probably won't ever use your sights in a fast moving gun fight. Also, even if the cop actually used his sights, his adrenaline may have been so high that he only remembers pulling the gun out and trying to hit the target somehow.

As I imagine a gun fight, aiming my sights is not something I would remember. There's no room for such a memory when the 38 years of my life are flashing before my eyes.

Another thing is that it seems that some people in this thread assume cops are better trained with the use of their guns. I don't know if that's necessarily true. I know a lot of gun owners, and am a member of several gun forums. Everybody I know who carries in public practices their craft ALL THE TIME. They are so paranoid about doing something wrong in public that they aim to do everything perfectly. They're constantly studying their craft.

In contrast, I doubt cops experience the same level of paranoia, and I doubt their training requires the same level of dedication. They must carry because it's their job, but how many cops actually like guns and study all the time? The cop label does not automatically mean higher skill. I would guess law abiding citizens who carry in public tend to have more skill and more knowledge.