I agree that it can seem like a lot, but keep in mind that as Scout leaders, we're providing examples for our youth and their parents to follow, trying to develop good habit in them. Our Scouts are on a solid preparedness path already, but our Cubs and Beavers are just at the beginning of their journeys. I prep assuming the worst. In an urban hike situation with my young Scouts, that could mean having to wait with an injured youth or parent for a few hours (for medical help/transport)in foul weather.

We prep for our Beavers, using the practices Lono suggests, and ask them for nothing more than proper footwear, clothing and the wear and know how to use the whistle we provide them on every outdoor adventure. (Hug a Tree is practiced on every outting.) We rotate through our parents, asking them to take turns carrying the group pack, and going it through it with them before each outting. Hopefully this will help instill good family practices.

Our Scouts and Cub Scouts have personal survival and FA kits that they are required to carry on every outting. We do a review of each one every time, including our leader's packs. Teach proactively and by example!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA