It's a cool sunday morning here in Oregon and I'm sitting at the computer holding my "Tactical Caffiene Transfer Unit" up in the air in a toast to you guys on this topic of knives. Like many normal folks I grew up using knives and axes (good thinking Presumed Lost) as a matter of normal day to day living. I had to attend a University to learn some people didn't just not shoot firearms but actually disliked them. You think these people would be understanding about knives? You know the answer. Now I see the entire school system devoted to teaching kids that they are above getting their hands dirty to make a living. The wood, metal and auto shops are being eliminated in this state at a high rate of speed. Funny but as I look around there is still a whole lot of hard physical work that needs to get done to keep us fed, clothed and sheltered. It's the edged tool that makes this world useful to us humans and I'm talking about drill bits, saw blades and milling cutters too. Those for whom everything is provided have the luxury to condemn those who provide. This may be the source of some of our problems with perceptions about knives. Also someone in this thread said something about not flicking knives open in public. RIGHT ON! At the shows I attend as a knifemaker we have a lot of folks that are not knife nuts too. I always open any folder slowly and with the blade pointed towards me when showing a knife. I've seen too many "stupid knife tricks" and the effect they have on other people watching. Keep up the great thinkng here. One last thing, I work with my hands fairly hard (this doesn't make me unique) and am at least half strong. There are soft packaged food bags that I can't get open without a knife, am I the only one with this problem?