Paul810:

I had a similar experience in the sixties during some civil disturbances (politically correct nomenclature for "RIOTS") here in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The Mayor put a lock on all gas stations, liquor stores, and gun shops.

I used to work at the Falk Corporation which made a lot of gear drives for the Military. When I went to work after the Mayor locked down the gun stores, I was surrounded at my lathe station by all kinds of co-workers who knew I was a weapons owner and offered to buy guns from me at any price I quoted. A lot of them were the very people who considered me weird for owning so many different weapons. I didn't sell anything to anyone for two reasons; 1) I would have violated laws concerning dealing in weapons without a dealers license, and 2), and more important, I didn't want to sell any guns to knee-jerk reactionaries that might hurt others or themselves by buying out of immediate fear and not personal interest in guns.

A lot of people quit considering me weird after that and came by for advice and help after the Mayor lifted the orders three days later, and people could buy through gun shops.

Bountyhunter