I hate these stupid laws too. You shouldn't have to walk in fear of your tools getting confiscated any more than you should have to walk in fear of getting robbed, murdered, whatever. Pre-9-11 I was pretty brave. I used to do warranty repair on HP printers, the big 5si/8000/8100 that you can't take into a shop you have to repair onsite. I used to go into .gov buildings and had to empty my pockets for the metal detector. I filled three trays once and backed up the line. Once a security guard picked up my leatherman and said something about a knife and a lady security guard said "its a leatherman, its OK". One time they started to say I would have to leave it and I then asked if they were going to provide me with pliers to do my job so they let me through. I had to go into a prison once where they had a library with a few pc's connected to the internet and a printer for the inmates to use. I emptied my pockets into the bins and was told I would have to take that back to my car. This was before I had my leatherman, just a little knife. I picked up the knife and started to go back out and they said no the cell phone, not the knife! I had a good laugh after that, why allow a knife and not a cell phone? It just goes to show the people who make the rules/laws are so out of touch with reality.