Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
To avoid suspicion, one would need to leave a deliberate paper trail. Just use cash for goods and certain services you don't want traced back to you.

Earlier I did research on money laundering. It's not difficult but one must be a meticulous bookkeeper.

Jeanette Isabelle

I'll put this gently. If you just don't like advertising, and you don't want to be a part of the marketing driven culture, sure, you can reduce your exposure to tracking with prepaid phones and prepaid visa cards. However, I really can't make it more plain that if you are up to no good, cash and prepaid lifestyles will only make it a teeny bit harder to physically locate you.

Let me give you a little scenario, based on some of the work I've done with marketing tools.

Using in-store video cameras connected to facial recognition software, you can immediately tell with high confidence that the person coming into a drug store is a repeat customer (yes, just like in "minority report") or a first time customer. You can track their path as they walk and factor in things such as the speed they walkthe aisles they pick and the places they pause. You can tell if a woman is menstruating with 75% accuracy. You can tell if someone is married with 80% accuracy. If they get a prescription data about that is sent to a company called IMS Health. Transaction data (what you bought, how you paid) goes to various companies. If you parked ia parking lot, your car radio may have been scanned remotely to determine what station you were listening to before you came in and after you leave.
Thats if you pay cash.
If you pay with a credit or debit card, of course, there's much more.

My point is this: in reality, nobody actually cares about who you are and what you do, except when it comes to selling you stuff. You are a "consumer" a "market segment" a "target" and that fact that you have a name and an address is pretty much irrelevant unless they are addressing an envelope to you.

My further point is that the advertisers and marketers have very good tools, and in many ways these tools are better than the government tools used for monitoring large populations. However, the government, when needed, can use similar tools to zero in on one or more people - but it's very hard. It's much easier to use all that personal information to sell shampoo or to change the advertising you see on a web page than it is to specifically track YOU.