Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
I used to share your philosophy, but I have reconsidered. IMO, the only way a firearm is a deterrent is if it is immediately available day or night. If it is locked up, could you get it in time? I couldn't figure a way to turn on a light, find my glasses, open my gunsafe, and deploy a weapon in the 15 seconds it would take someone to break out my bedroom window and jump in.

We have a silent, push-button pistol safe next to our bed, which either of us can open in the dark. I can get my glasses on and put a pistol in my hand in just a few seconds. My bedside pistol has a mounted weaponlight, although I use a separate flashlight (there's one in the pistol safe for each of us) for target identification.

My house layout is such that I have quite a bit more than fifteen seconds to arm myself before a home invader could be in my bedroom without rappelling off the roof -- not even close to a realistic threat. All this assumes that the dogs do not slow down any intruders.

Quote:
A light-sleeping house dog with a ferocious bark, a large can of Sabre OC Red and a tactical light in each nightstand, with a followup welcome with a weighted billy (all of which I am thoroughly trained to use).

This sounds very reasonable.

Quote:
If I accidently mace my practical-joker son who comes home on leave from the Air Force unexpectedly, or my daughter who comes home from college without calling, we get a do-over. With the gun, we don't.

These are situations I do not currently face. Also, I train regularly on shoot/no-shoot targets and I always make positive identification before covering anything with the muzzle of a gun.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I am an NRA member, and Second Amendment supporter. I just can't figure out a safe way to protect my house from intrusion with my guns.

I'm thinking that a different safe might work better for you. You may also want to plan to have one parent armed with OC and a billy while the other gets glasses, light and gun. It's also entirely possible that your situation is best served with the defensive measures that you're using. It's clear to me that you've been very thoughtful about it.