Great insights Les! Thanks!

I've volunteered and plan to be involved with the PTA as well. I'm not sure if they have a seperate emergency committee. (There are only 8 classes of about 17/18 kids each + one teacher each + Librarian + Special Ed teacher + Secretary + Principal + VP) It's like a Big family and everyone pitches in.

Being small has it's advantages. It's easier to make preps and accomodations for individual students (i.e. allergies), every teacher knows every kid, the small space is easier to manage, etc. The kids watch out gor each other too. When we first moved here, I went to watch DS at lunch. I stayed at a distance because I didn't want to disturb. No less than 4 teachers approached me to check-in.

One of the disadvantages is that it would be a hard building to secure. It's a u-shaped building, and there are only 5 entrances, but each classroom as a long wall (on the inside of the u) which is end-to-end waist-height windows.

As a smaller school, we could be at a higher threat of things like bomb threats, gunmen, etc. because we're on a small side street and
the security could be perceived as more casual. Honestly though, it's not something I worry about. I'm more concerned with fire and a nuclear accident.

Edited by bacpacjac (09/05/11 12:34 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA