Quote:
While UK power is distributed on pylons that look strong enough to survive a nuclear blast, much of America – including my supposedly sophisticated neighbourhood – is served by wires strung along ancient wooden poles

This is an interesting point though as it would appear that the electrical grid supply in the USA is done on the cheap and not very resilient to gale force winds as has been recently discovered. I have even discovered that the multitude of pole transformers i.e. the last transformer before the residence (7,200 volts into the 220-240-120 volts) actually has in many circumstances aluminium windings to save on cost. crazy

http://www.temcotransformer.com/poletransformer.html

In the UK the last transformer is ground based usually behind a brick surrounding wall or building with the 240V 3 phase distribution (1 phase per residence) cables mostly being buried. Here is an unusual Transformer that doesn't have a protective wall structure.

This is not an easily solved problem, but rather than just repair the poles and pole transformers etc, perhaps over time the infrastructure needs heavy investment for underground cables or these week long outages will just re-occur with the next kite flying weather day.