Hi everyone. Just thought I'd throw in a quick aftermath/lessons learned" from Irene. First, I live in Southern Central VA. Going by the previous few posts, I really don't care what the storm was called, it sucked. I just walked outside and my neighborhood is going to have a lot of cleanup to do. Standing on my front porch, I can see seven trees blocking roads. One car is under a tree. We lost power last night around 5PM. No one can say when it'll be back on. As far as I know, and from what the neighbors can tell me, no one in the neighborhood was hurt. That's the good news. Everything else can be repaired or replaced.
As far as lessons learned, I'm fairly new to "organized prepping." We've always had a little bit of stuff in the pantry just in case, but it got a lot deeper after my daughter was born.
I guess I had pretty much all of the advised stuff to have on hand,and then some. After we lost power, I popped a couple of chem lights and put in the bathroom, just enough to give a little girl her night light, and help the adults find the needed target. I haven't gone out to start up the generator yet, need to get some tree limbs out of the way of the shed.
Sorry if this rambled on too much, sleep wasn't the highest priority last night.
Thoughts and prayers go out to those north of us in the path of whatever Irene is being called now....whatever they call her, she was a mean B!^&*