Quote:
The U.S. Navy is sending 27 ships based in Norfolk, Virginia, out to sea to ride out Irene, a senior Navy official told CNN. An aircraft carrier is among them. Another 28 ships will seek more sheltered areas.

Three submarines were heading out to sea, as well.

CNN's Larry Shaughnessy, on board the USS WASP, could see several warships ahead and others behind as they steadily worked their way out into the Atlantic. There are 1,500 personnel on board the WASP -- 1,000 sailors and 500 Marines. Things were orderly on the ship, Shaughnessy said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/americas/08/25/tropical.weather/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

This is quite strange! considering ships usually head for harbour during a storm. Even more strange if the carrier was to ride out the storm would be to disembark any unnecessary crew such as the marines. Looks like a mobilisation effort has already begun.

Quote:
We're packing, and getting ready to head for high ground tomorrow. I'm amazed by the number of people I speak to, many with young kids, who as very unconcerned about the whole thing. The general response is that all we're going to get is some wind and rain. It looks to me like there's a chance that the eye of a cat 1 hurricane will pass within 20 miles of here!

Wish me (and my poor house) luck!

As Major Bloomberg will be announcing any mandatory evacuation I believe on Friday afternoon/evening it might be an idea to Bug out before the weekend before the traffic chaos. I would bug out even if Major Bloomberg announces that New York can take anything Hurricane Irene can throw at the city.

Good Luck for both your family and your home.