FWIW, I have my mind already made up on hurricanes and other slow moving natural disasters, and that's to get my family out of the way of any that could put our shelter in danger or under water. If you have parents in the Catskills this is a great weekend to take the kids to see grandma and grandpa, you'll still have a storm to ride out there but you'll be playing Parcheesi in the light rather than listening to the roof come off in the dark. If the area you live in has a history of flooding, I recommend boarding up and getting out. Storms vary in intensity and storm surge, so its very difficult to assess whether to stay based on the last storm you or anyone remembers. Severe weather operate on longer time scales, with effects that may only occur every 300-500 years, before most any recorded habitation in your area. If there's recorded history and effects from the last category 2 then you can assess your house's survivability, but the fact that you're there during the actual storm really won't make any difference to the damage that may be done.

And consider leaving earlier than the anticipated landfall. Hurricane Rita is an object lesson in late movers and how they clog evacuation routes - and that was in a region of the country more accustomed to hurricanes.

Houses, contents - those are things. If you value them, pay insurance. Move precious items out of harm's way if you have time. Family, kids - those are the things that matter.

Good luck!