OK folks, so it looks like Hurricane Irene is coming my way. Here's the current track data from the National Hurricane Center, with NYC / Eastern Long Island marked with a red circle.

The water is pretty warm up here right now, so if the storm is still organized when it gets back over water after North Carolina, I fear it could remain strong by the time it gets to me.

I live on a barrier island off the coast of Long Island, just south of JFK airport. I know some people who stayed put during Hurricane Gloria years ago, and the island was innundated in several places with the ocean and bay meeting. With two young kids, I'm not willing to take chances like that.

DW and I have made our bug-out plans. I'm going to start packing today. Friday we head into NYC. If it looks really bad, DW and the kids will continue on to the Catskills with her parents, while I stay in NYC so I can try to get back ASAP after the storm to mitigate whatever damage I can. If it's looking like a category 1 or 2, we'll all stay in the city to ride it out. Looks like I may be spending Friday moving things up to the second floor of the house, and putting up plywood before we go.

I'm sure my neighbors will think I'm over-reacting on Friday, when the weather is still supposed to be quite nice. I know my friends who surf are looking forward to the storm's approach!

What are other people in the NYC area planning? Any suggestions?