Originally Posted By: NuggetHoarder
I don't like the lack of privacy of online backup services. Theoretically, your data is accessible by employees of the company and who's to say that their security is good enough to keep out hackers.

If this were the only concern with online backups, it seems you could just encrypt the data. It would be a bit of a hassle to access it afterwards, so inconvenient for stuff you use daily, but for backups (which you create once and then very rarely use) it could be OK.

Originally Posted By: NuggetHoarder
With this setup, I feel like I have much more control over my backups, the backups are more secure, I save some money from not paying for an online service and I have a lot more space available than online services offer.

One drawback is that these backups are within relatively limited geographical area, since your work is probably relatively close to your home. So it's conceivable that a large enough earthquake or flood or a riot could destroy both locations. Not sure how much of a concern this is in KY. With online backups, you can distribute over a much larger area.

Edited by sheldon (08/15/11 10:04 PM)