Originally Posted By: Mike_H
Your character wouldn't know to bring a "comfort" item.

When I was designing the custom survival kit, I was wanting to include things like a citronella candle and a pen. I later removed them.

Edit: Another comfort idea was to have Deputy Arik and Professor Hikaru, Jeanette's friends and pillars of the community, pull some strings to get the street lamp by her house repaired. That idea was also dropped.

Not quite sure how you are going to play this as a survival situation either. Seems like she will be in a familiar setting (her house). Seems like her party will help her get equipped for the journey (clothing, water, food)...

As long as she remains in the safety of the settlement, she's fine. She can get a job in the medical field and settle down and make-do in this new environment. Or she can go on the trek with two of her friends in which she would need to put her survival skills to use.

Edit: Before they even hear anything about a trek, family and friends will help Jeanette get back on her feet: New clothes, new glasses. When she goes on the trek, she will be pulling her weight with her contributions: Medical care, water. . . .

Thieves and relgious extremists? That's it? Hmmm... I would forsee gangs. We have them now, they would probably be more in force in that future where things have gone bad. In an ruined urban setting I would also imagine feral dogs. Ever run into a pack of wild dogs? Add in the distict possibility of rabies and you are in for a fun time.

I can't remember how he put it but the game master did say some thieves are organized, some aren't. So I guess we can call the organized thieves "gangs."I don't recall him mentioning any problem with animals.

So, when the unspecific event happened, your family just stayed put? House didn't get ransacked / ruined?

The house is in the settlement. There is every reason to stay. I don't know how much ransacking there will be in an inhabited suburban neighborhood when everything breaks loose but in 2050 part of the settlement is completely surrounded by walls and the neighborhood is within those walls.

Salt... Your body needs it... Where are you going to get it when the supply chain is gone?

I should have been more clear about supply chains. Even before factories, supply chains of some sort still existed: ships, caravans. . . .

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by JeanetteIsabelle (07/27/11 06:32 PM)