Your character wouldn't know to bring a "comfort" item. Not quite sure how you are going to play this as a survival situation either. Seems like she will be in a familiar setting (her house). Seems like her party will help her get equipped for the journey (clothing, water, food)...

Thieves and relgious extremists? That's it? Hmmm... I would forsee gangs. We have them now, they would probably be more in force in that future where things have gone bad. In an ruined urban setting I would also imagine feral dogs. Ever run into a pack of wild dogs? Add in the distict possibility of rabies and you are in for a fun time.

So, when the unspecific event happened, your family just stayed put? House didn't get ransacked / ruined?

I could definitely see your parents putting clothes away into a cedar chest when you disappeared... Memories...

Salt... Your body needs it... Where are you going to get it when the supply chain is gone? Useful for preserving meat as well. What we typically consume also has iodine for your thyroid. Do a quick google about it.

Useful plant book... Very good... Blast would be proud.