Originally Posted By: sotto
Well, not to be too disparaging, but I seriously wonder what really useful information a person might get by listening to the radio in an emergency situation these days? I have a couple good battery radios, including various transceivers (I've been a ham since 1973), but I'm not optimistic. Anybody have any direct experience, like from the Katrina situation for example? How useful was a battery am/fm radio receiver in that particular disaster?

If the power grid goes down, you probably won't have TV, internet, and phone -- well, maybe not if you have a landline, but who has a landline these days? So the radio can become the only source of outside information. And I'd think power would be one of the first things to go.

Thus far the radio has served me well in extreme weather, though I have not encountered Katrina-scale disasters. But like another poster said, frequently the broadcast information is repetitive and not necessarily directly relevant. The broadcasters are just throwing everything they know at you. But that's often better than trying to get information yourself.

Da Bing