A life raft, an anvil, and space suit are a bit different though. They're excessively bulky, heavy, and are pretty much tailor made for one specific environment. Thankfully, in the environments they would potentially be needed, one would (hopefully) be provided for those in need. I mean, if I was going on a boat, I wouldn't want to go on one that isn't equipped with a suitable number of life rafts/life vests.

Many firearms, on the other hand, don't share those qualities. Many modern firearms are small enough to easily fit in a pocket, weigh mere ounces, and can be useful in a variety of environments. More importantly, one might not always be provided for someone when they might need it. Hence the desire for many to be equipped with a firearm.

I don't think it's silly at all. If it's legal, one is willing to properly commit to it, and they feel it can be of value to them, than I don't see any reason to lambast their decision. I mean, I've never used a whistle to save my life or the life of another, but I've still got them all over my gear just-in-case. Just like situational awareness only goes so far sometimes, the sound of my voice only travels so far.