Originally Posted By: MDinana
First, it's not sublingual - just chew it and swallow. Sublingual is nitroglycerin smile

I'll have to go back to my notes, but one of my instructors said under the tongue. Thanks for correcting that.

Quote:
Without getting too technical, if you think you're having a heart attack, you're better off just taking the aspirin. Supposedly people with stomach ulcers shouldn't, but we can deal with an ulcer. Dead is a lot harder to cure. Aspirin isn't a cure-all! You're still going to need to go to the hospital, via EMS preferably. If anyone has ever had a heart attack, they can probably tell you they got way more than just aspirin.

If paramedics are going to arrive within, say, three minutes, then my plan is to concentrate only on keeping the victim alive for that long. If it's going to be more than three minutes, that's when I'm going to start thinking about whether it makes sense to offer aspirin.

Quote:
If you're thinking stroke, I wouldn't recommend blindly taking an aspirin. Like I said, most are a clot, but some aren't. If you choose to play the odds, that's on you. Best thing to do is get to an ER (preferably accredited as a stroke center) ASAP - the meds have a 90 minute window from symptom onset.

Thank you! Let's hope that if I'm ever around a heart attack or a stroke that better help than me is there or close by.``