If I read the last part of Mr. Ritter's post correctly on the development of the SEND standard, the manufacturers of PLBs are not innovating in the ability to post emergency information, at least not at the rate of the manufacturer(s) of SPOT type devices. While there is hope for a change, and that hope starts with a recent change in management or leadership of a PLB industry organization, it may end up that SPOT becomes a SEND-compatible device with more communication options (and form factors etc), while PLB devices become less capable (of communicating detailed info) relegated to smaller, regulated markets that require rigorously designed PLBs (ex. Coast Guard specs).

You see this all the time in the technology world - different products make their choices, and take their chances. New markets can be opened up by choosing wisely, or expanding the usefulness, lowering a quality bar, making devices cheaper, or simply making a device easier or more capable to use. Some become every day devices, some become ship's ballast or landfill.

It can't be an easy choice - PLBs have a reputation and a reality for reliability and durability, they are used routinely in life and death scenarios by 'serious' professions, like saltwater fishermen and backwoods outdoorsmen. Ships sink and bears attack - PLB gets activated. SPOT is marketed towards every day users, and one of the biggest criticisms of SPOT is that it actually encourages requests for rescue in situations where rescue is not critical. In terms of the primary market served, PLB manufacturers may consider they have an obligation to maintain their reliability and durability despite the incursion of new demands for communication capability, which could threaten to diminish PLBs (ex. by reducing battery life etc) if implemented in the wrong way.

FWIW I own a second gen PLB from McMurdo, I don't need the enhanced communication capability of a SPOT, I require the more durable PLB, and the form factor works for me. When my battery runs down to expiration though, I'll look at what's available on the market then, or possibly look at newer SEND compatible devices before my battery runs out. Just as I relied upon Doug Ritter's recommendations and reviews for my first 2 PLB purchases, I'll probably look for his advice then too.

Second FWIW, I have a pet peeve about ham radio, why isn't it easier and more accessible to use? It requires a license to use frequencies, which I accept (KE7PWW) - but the handset form factors, programming, intricacies of antenna design etc etc, all scream for far more experience than the typical lay person can or should muster. Yet the absolute usefulness of having a ham radio and the license and nuts to use it is there - you can communicate with others in times of emergency when other means go down. Ordinarily I would look for the development of some future smartphone app that communicates from a phone over ham frequencies, much like smart phones communicating over wireless instead of cell frequencies. Something that simplifies the process of locating available routers in your area. I'd pay for that. I'd even pop a special antenna onto my phone to make those 'calls' over ham frequencies. As it is though, ham radio is most accessible mainly to folks with pocket protectors and a level of technical experience that challenges the likes of me. Anyway, like I say, its just a peeve...