My skepticism has nothing to do with the sting ray envenomation, but the general circumstances of the trip. I was Park Archaeologist at Channel Islands National Park from 1985 to 2001. I can assure you that nothing remotely like his described trip occurred during that time. Indeed, if you are doing any kind of research, or any kind of activity for the NPS, you will not be traveling to the islands in the manner described in this incident. You will reach the islands on an NPS boat or a chartered NPS plane. Your departure and arrival will be tracked and noted. An obvious and important rule is to always travel with your gear, however you may reach the island. During my time with the NPS, I have never traveled any other way, nor has anyone else. Certainly the work CK describes did not happen after 1985, and I seriously doubt it happened before.

The only incident I know of, and I am well acquainted with the archaeological research history of the islands, would be an incident that happened on San Miguel Island about 1964, involving an archaeologist named Charles Rozaire. San Miguel was owned and managed by the US Navy then, and Rozaire and his crew were working under contract for them. Someone in the Navy "forgot" they were on the island, and their return transportation was about four days late.

It is axiomatic to carry a bit of extra food when you travel to the islands, but four extra days is a bit much. This was not a problem for archeos, though. When the Navy plane finally showed up, they were living on abalone and other shellfish foraged from tide pools, following the example of the people they were studying.

So, again - what island, when, and what was the project? It just may be a fairy tale.....

This is a pretty egregious hijack...Should we continue on a separate thread? I do apologize, but this really pulled my chain, as you can probably tell.