If you're wet, in snow country, you have no tent, and you have a down sleeping bag, you are in a survival situation.

From the follow up article I read, it sounds like he was hiking out the way he came in when he was found.

Staying put, especially if you've sent out a distress beacon with your coordinates is generally a good idea, but in this case potentially life threatening. Huddled in a wet sleeping bag while you stay put is potentially life threatening. Staying on the move will keep you warm. I might have done the same.

The follow up article stated that he saw helicopters searching for him but that he had no means of signalling them.

A couple of thoughts:
1. A partner (or two) in remote, snowy country ain't such a bad idea.
2. His beacon was worth every penny he paid for it.
3. Make danged sure that essential gear is secured to your pack.
4. Always carry means to signal. I don't know the conditions of the day he was found, but in general a signal mirror is a good means of signalling. A whistle is also good (although not for choppers) wink Maybe flares or signal panels of some sort. Perhaps a smoke creating device. A strobe at night or even your headlamp. Bright, contrasting outer layers are good. Don't forget your backpack. You may or may not be wearing a given outer layer depending on conditions, but you'll almost always be wearing your pack; again, bright contrasting colors are good. Marpat and ACU patterns look cool, but do you really want to be wearing them when you're the subject of a SAR effort?

HJ