This question has been on my mind a lot over the past year, Bingley. I gave up my blackberry about a year ago and have been cel phoneless ever since. It does make me uneasy sometimes.

In and near urban centres, it's only been an issue of convenience. There's almost always someone around who can help.

I haven't soloed in a wilderness setting during this time, and have always had another adult with me who's always had a cel. Sometimes, though, we haven't had coverage. We take our Scouts on an annual week long portaging trip, and cel phone service is spotty at best. We're taking a SPOT with us this year, mostly in case of a medical emergency.

My back-up plan has been intinery planning and filing. Where are you going? What's your route? What stops are you planning? When will you be back? Make as detailed a plan as possible and give copies to several people, including a copy of your map. Then stick to your plan. That way, if you're late, someone can call in the calvary and they'll know where to look. Same goes for your daily commute, check-in before you embark and be predictable.

Edited by bacpacjac (04/25/11 11:27 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA