If one were to get only one stove and try to do everything with that one stove, then a remote canister stove with a pre-heat loop would cover everything from about 0F/-18C on up (that's canister temperature, mind you, not ambient temperature). I'm assuming of course that one is using a propane-isobutane fuel canister. Regular butane just isn't good for cold weather. One can go colder than 0F/-18C if one employs canister warming techniques.

In other words, one can cover a whole lot of "territory" temperature wise with a single stove -- all but the coldest weather.

However, one can shed quite a bit of weight in fair weather by going with an upright canister stove, so I wouldn't say the upright canister stove should be counted out just yet.

For "fast and light" fair weather trips, I tend to to take and upright canister stove.

For trips where I anticipate temperatures between 0F/-18C and 40F/5C, I'll either take a liquid fuel or remote canister (with pre-heat loop) set up. If there's a possibility I'll need to cook in my tent, I'll generally go with gas.

If temps are going to be below 0F/18C, I start looking at a liquid fueled stove burning kerosene (kerosene being a bit safer to burn in a tent if need be).

On short trips where weight isn't at a premium, I tend to go with liquid fuel simply because liquid fuel is so cheap. A 110g canister of gas (four ounces by weight) costs $5.49 (tax included) versus $0.38 for the same amount of liquid fuel. Gas is about fourteen times more expensive than white gasoline if bought in four ounce canisters.

HJ