Originally Posted By: Frisket
I would figure the rock would melt threw the plastic? While boiling In plastic bottles over a fire is possible it is only possible because the water is in direct contact with the plastic. When putting a rock into a plastic container your applying direct heat to the plastic with no buffer or displacement.

I'm thinking exactly the same thing. You could of course put a bed of cool rocks in the bottom or hold the hot rock with a pair of pliers. (Knife + green branch + a little ingenuity = pliers).

No, I'm not tempted to test out water boiling in tupperware containers. I've updated my too-large-for-a-pocket PSK with this aluminium container: http://www.adventuresurvivalequipment.com/adventurer-survival-kit-box.html. I got mine from a local store, but I am 95% sure it is the same container.

SHELTER:
And yes, this box also holds the venerable AMK bivy bag - just take it out of the pouch; the AMK bag is folded into a rectangle about 2-by-6" which then is rolled and put into this box. I would be very surprised if you couldn't find room for it in your bag.

Come to think of it, I probably should snap some pics of my updated PSK's wink

ALU BAG BOILING: The idea of using alu-foil to boil in is not a reliable option, IMHO. I know Doug Ritter has some foil that could serve as a makeshift container for this purpose. I am not sayin it wouldn't work - I say that I personally remain sceptical and prefer to plan with more robust options.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (04/05/11 05:22 PM)