Originally Posted By: Roarmeister

Nowadays, I am more interested in making my own copy of a wood fire stove to prevent any impact on nature similar to this stove: http://www.churchillrivercanoestore.com/...rt&Itemid=1 Having a stove that will prevent any burn marks on the soil or will eliminate the need for leaving scorched unsightly rocks to scare the trail just makes sense.

Exactly.

I use something very similar to the Churchill river stove, but a much simpler (and cheaper!) design. Essentially just a bunch of steel plates hinged together with wire (the simplest possible hinge: Make a hole, thread a wire, twist). It gets the work done.

My "hinged steel plate fireplace" also eliminates the need for disposable grills (I hate those with an intense passion).

A paradox, perhaps - but in really remote areas I don't see many problems with lighting a fire without any stove or fireplace. Usually, you will find old fire places at the most obvious camp site places anyway - just use that. And if not, the environmental impact is marginal anyway if done properly. IMHO, the problem is larger in areas with more people - typically the easiest accessible recreational/semi-wilderness areas/parks close to population centers. IMHO, more people equals less environmental footprint of the individual if you are not to "wear out" the area.