All this talk of wood stoves brings back fond memories. In grade 2, I got a hold of a #10 coffee can, a church key and Dad's tin snips. I punched air holes at the base and the top and made a slot for loading tiny branches. Then I grabbed my kid sister and a gal friend from class, both of whom doubted my skills at cooking in the out doors. We hiked to the perimeter of town, then I fired up the can stove with a couple of paper matches/toilet paper/fingerlings of wood and proceeded to cook an egg and some bacon on the top rim of the can. I was as proud as a peacock! I was "da man"!

Never told my parents though because I knew I would catch royal heck for "playing with fire". smile

Nowadays, I am more interested in making my own copy of a wood fire stove to prevent any impact on nature similar to this stove: http://www.churchillrivercanoestore.com/...rt&Itemid=1 Having a stove that will prevent any burn marks on the soil or will eliminate the need for leaving scorched unsightly rocks to scare the trail just makes sense.