Originally Posted By: Roarmeister

3. I would argue that the US actually DOES have access to more fuel efficient vehicles; the big difference is in the choice not to buy and use smaller efficient vehicles. Consider the difference between the US and Canada which are much more comparable than the US vs Europe. With access to the same exact vehicles, Canadians purchase smaller vehicles because a) gas is a bit more expensive but not drastically different, b) greater concern with environmental concerns, c) drive greater distances per person than any other country even more so than the US because we have an even less efficient public transit system. It is about making choices.

It kind of goes on a case by case basis, but overall we are severely lacking when it comes to certain vehicle classes and options.

One good example of this is the 70 Series Land Cruiser. Everywhere else in the world got/gets this vehicle (including Canada), and they were legendary in their capability. The U.S.? Nope, never got it. It didn't pass our safety and emissions regulations. Instead, if I want a vehicle with similar capability, I would be stuck buying a 3/4 ton pickup. Not exactly the best when it comes to fuel economy.

We're starting to get better, but certain things just boggle my mind. I mean, we finally get a good compact work van again in the global Ford Transit Connect (which is selling pretty well here). But instead of getting the 30mpg+ diesel/5-spd version that Europe gets, we get a version with a 2.0L gas engine/4-spd that gets 23mpg combined....worse fuel economy than the 4-cyl Ranger that they haven't updated in 13 years. (and are now dropping out of the compact truck market completely). They say it doesn't make sense to bring over the diesel version because the engine doesn't meet our emissions regulations. Getting it to meet the regulations would require adding a lot of extra equipment; which would add to the cost, increase the weight, and the decrease the fuel economy...making it not worth it financially.

Not for nothing, but the best selling delivery vehicle for years and years has been full size vans with V8 engines. I can buy them all day long with large displacement naturally aspirated gas engines, but when I want to buy a small van with a 35mpg 1.8L diesel it's too bad for the environment to be imported....seriously? crazy