Originally Posted By: ireckon
We're getting off track. Discussions of safes with one million combinations is off-topic. The original poster has a requirement of quick access. A safe that meets the original requirements is not going to be high security. However, if someone can provide a link to such a safe, then please do.

The topic was to recommend a handgun safe for the OP. Without knowing his specific needs, it's not possible to say whether or not it meets his requirements. And quick access does not necessarily exclude the possibility of millions of combinations.

If you don't want to go electric, then a Simplex lock is the way to go. I'll trade a little security for more reliability of Simplex locks. Inexpensive electronic locks just don't meet my standard for reliability. For me, less reliability is a deal breaker.

If that suits your needs, that's fine. However, I did not see non-electronic lock as one of the original criteria. I did not even see key-less as a requirement. Other people may have different needs and may not want to make the same trade offs. Also, I did not see inexpensive as one of the criteria, but it's probably a reasonable assumption. The topic of mechanical vs. electronic reliability is another interesting debate, but I won't get into it here.

If you still want to go electric, the Gunvault may meet the original criteria. However, I have experienced failures with this safe and have read numerous stories of Gunvaults failing (Google search). Do you want to be unsure your safe won't open if you fail to maintain it perfectly? Do want a safe that's really no more secure than a Simplex, but that lacks reliability?

Yes, the gun vaults have had some reliability issues, I don't disagree. But I would not go as far to say the locks are no more secure than a Simplex, it depends on what you're definition of secure is I guess. Each is suited for a different purpose.

The wall safe linked above appears to be for mounting permanently in a wall and has limited mounting capabilities. I wouldn't want to go that direction for a small, quick access safe that I'll want to move around.

Again, nowhere did I see a requirement to move the safe around. The OP mentioned wanting something concealable, and a wall safe could fit that criteria. If he were to ask for a small, inexpensive, non-electronic safe that can be moved around to keep the gun away from his kids, then I probably would have recommended the same two handgun safes that you posted.

And in response to your original post before you edited. All I've done was provide information that is readily available online and based on personal experience. You can choose to believe it or not, it has no effect on me. As far as I'm concerned there's no reason to clutter up this thread even more, so there's no need to discuss it further.