Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy
I was being conservative on the 15 minute time frame, the common estimate is about 10 minutes. Keep in mind that this is the amount of time to try EVERY possible combination, including all the ones with 2 or more simultaneous numbers. What are the chances someone will need to go through all of them before they happen across the right one? It's very easy to go through a lot of combinations very quickly, especially if you have a list in front of you.

http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-open-a-simplex-lock.html

This doesn't mean they are bad locks, you just have to know the inherent limitations of your choice. Simplex locks are great for access control, not so much for security. You'll notice you will only see them used on small lock boxes, there's a reason manufacturers don't use them on larger safes.

As I stated, it would be fine if you needed to keep small children out of your safe, but I personally would not trust one where a bored/curious teenager had access to it, because they will get into it. It boils down to who you're trying to keep out. You don't want to give yourself a false sense of security, that's almost as dangerous as having none.

I prefer mechanical dial locks for their durability, but for frequent use an electronic lock is a lot more convenient.

None of the safes in this thread are good for security. A bored/curious teenager who is testing the safe has made a decision to break the law. That person has morals that won't stop him from using a crowbar to get in. None of the safes here are suitable for stopping such a person.

Anyway, please explain how you're getting 15 minutes to go through all combinations on the safes I posted? The second safe I posted has 2,200 combinations. If you average 4 seconds per try, that's 146 minutes to go through all combinations. As I said above, it's easy to make a mistake, and you don't know if you made a mistake until the safe doesn't open. You'll very likely make a mistake on the correct code and won't know until you've gone through all combinations (146 minutes), and then you'd have to start over.

I know Simplex locks have limitations, but let's at least not pull numbers out of mid-air.