Quote:
We did use a plastic bag in the existing toilet, Susan. I really can't figure out how you'd fit a bucket in ours though. I've noted on trips to the US that American toilets seem to be somewhat larger than NZ toilets, and they use a lot more water.

People have come up with some great solutions involving cutting holes in old outdoor furniture, and there was one guy who kindly made a nice sort of rectangular wooden box arrangement with a hole in it for his neighbour, and then found himself in great demand to make them for everyone in the street. Instant business opportunity

I would have made some effort to come up with more of a long term solution if the mains water and sewage had been off for more than 5 days, but I have added a portable cardboard toilet to the emergency supplies for future events - these guys make them:
http://www.thebrowncorporation.com/

Interesting cardboard concept but I have visions of a heavier user falling into his or her own bog standard sh*t box when it gets a little damp. The results could be even more distressing for the user than even using the 'worst toilet in Scotland'. Yes there is a Youtube video!! sick