Originally Posted By: Bingley
1. Almost everyone includes jumper cables in their car kit. How useful are these actually?

I can write volumes on how much AAA sucks based entirely on my own, real-life experiences. If you took their subscription fees and put it in a savings account you'd be much better off on money, time and aggravation.

I've had my battery go dead a couple of times, and was able to get a jump from a passer-by by raising my hood and standing roadside waving my jumper cables in less than 20 minutes each time.

2. Some people have both towing ropes and chains in the kit.

Here's a thread about tow ropes: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=191610

The summary is that a good recovery strap, rated at least 4x the weight of your vehicle, and without attached hooks, plus an appropriately-rated D-Shackle are all you need.

3. What do you do with tea lights? I will include a flashlight and matches. But it seems that some people include this ancient technology for reasons beyond my ken.

Even a candle can provide some warmth in a small, enclosed space. I guess tea candles are better than nothing, but I'd prefer a UTCO candle/lantern instead.