I've been replacing my single-mantle gas lanterns in my camping/bug-out kits with these Apollo LED lanterns from Black Diamond. I now have two of them and intend to pick-up more as I find them on sale locally (usually around $35). They are pretty rugged, put out a decent amount of light with good distribution, run for over 50 hours with LSD NiMH rechargeable batteries, and are lighter and more compact than the gas lanterns.

I still keep the gas lanterns in my storage room with some 16oz. propane canisters. These are actually my go-to lighting during a power failure, as they put out much more light than LED. I have an adapter to refill the 16-oz canisters from a bulk LP tank, and usually have two full 20-lb tanks at home.

Being a flashlight junky, I have a large assortment of Maglites (all converted to LED), Fenix, Maratac and other brand flashlights, with a supply of LSD NiMH batteries.

Finally, I have two generators: a 6,000 watt unit and a 2,000 watt portable unit, with a 55 gallon drum of gasoline. Yes, I am that neighbor who's house is all lit-up with the TV going during a blackout. (Of course I'd maintain a lower profile during an extended disaster to avoid attracting attention.)