Originally Posted By: njs

"Sorry to have to disagree guys, but if you have pulseless patient, you need to perform CPR which includes chest compressions..."

I won't go into detail about what I mean by "cold" but the specific issue is the ability to actually determine if the patient is in fact without a pulse. On very cold patients this can be difficult to determine and I was taught by two physicians in Alaska who are authorities on cold injuries/illenss not to perform chest compressions on a "frozen" patient. This is not the same as a pulseless patient.

I agree with you njs. CPR is given to a normothermal person when they are not breathing normally. The present protocols do not take into account of pulse at all. So chest compressions are given when ever there is not a normal breath.

In a hypothermic person if they are breathing then we can assume their heart is beating so you can assist with breaths but not give chest compressions.

If there is no pulse and the heart has stopped beating then it is very doubtful if CPR would be any help anyway.