Quote:
As a side note, I too was taught by my physician advisors not to perform chest compressions on a "cold" patient.

Quote:
I am glad to hear you were taught not to perform chest compressions. I was starting to think the differences between our different protocols were miles apart. It seems they are not.

Sorry to have to disagree guys, but if you have pulseless patient, you need to perform CPR which includes chest compressions:

See the Journal of the American Medical Assocation Recommendations and other hypothermia links:

"Basic Life Support
If the victim is not breathing, rescue breathing should be initiated. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) in the pulse-less patient should be begun immediately, although pulse and respirations may need to be checked for longer periods to detect minimal cardiopulmonary efforts. The traditional recommendation that pulse and respiration's be checked for 1 to 2 minutes before beginning CPR is probably excessive. A span of 30 to 45 seconds should be adequate to confirm pulselessness or profound bradycardia, for which CPR would be required." From:

Hypothermia Guidleines - CPR

"Check breathing and heartbeat. In cases of hypothermia you should check very closely for as long as two minutes.
Start CPR if necessary." From:

Paddlers Web Site

"Due to the limited amount of oxygen the body needs when hypothermic, I want to stress the importance of starting and continuing cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) efforts with all victims of hypothermia," Tveita said. Doctors typically cease CPR efforts in a normothermic patient after 30 minutes. But CPR should continue on hypothermic patients until after they have returned to normal temperature, Tveita advised." From:

Medical News Today

Pete